Sunday, June 07, 2009

EL4J Release 1.6 is out!

I am glad to announce the new EL4J release 1.6!

There are quite a large number of new features:

  • DataExtent for controlling eager loading of Hibernate Entities
  • JAX-WS upgrade
  • First release of the Hibernate offliner
  • Cleaned up env support (to share config between Maven and Spring, now each module can incrementally define its configuration in an XML file)
  • Database scripts can now be versioned and only the "right" upgrade scripts are then applied
  • ID fixer improvements (to get hibernate session semantics even outside of a Hibernate session, e.g. with remoting)
  • Support for the Maven Sonar plugin
  • Better handling of the PK with Hibernate (our convenience parent class for entity objects)
  • Full JPA support in Hibernate (e.g. @PrePersist can be enabled).
  • Upgrades for many libraries C3P0 instead of DBCP, Spring, Maven, …
  • Bugfixes and clean-ups
More info can be found in the release notes:
http://el4j.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/*checkout*/el4j/trunk/el4j/etc/ReleaseNotes.txt

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks interesting. But I must say that frankly, the documentation is not that great and I am having a real hard time building the project!

Phil said...

@aniket

Thanks for your feedback. What do you miss in the documentation? We avoid re-documenting what already exists from other frameworks.

What are issues while building? Did you follow the recommended steps closely?

Unknown said...

Here are the issues I could find till now:

1) If one intends to use the framework as-is with maven, I am not sure why document suggests installing Cygwin. I am able to work on my Vista without using Cygwin.

2) If one intends to use the framework as-is without maven, it is a daunting task! The binary does not ship the pre-build jars that could be added to the project. Therefore, one has to either download them from public repository (link missing in documentation/ downloads section) or has to build the framework on his local machine. I would suggest that you should put direct links to JARs in your download section or package everything in one distribution zip.

3) I tried build the project from trunk (could not find tag information for Release 1.6) and I ran into issues with tests (Please mention -DtestFailureIgnore=true in setup documents also). After ignoring the tests, the build fails with a compilation error in EL4J\applications\templates\common\keyword module.

4) I finally was able to build the project after removing EL4J\applications from build.

What I am really interested in, is using the spring, XML merge and hibernate modules of your framework in my startup. I am thinking of modularizing the project so that it is easy to maintain. Also, my startup does not have any intentions of shifting to maven for its build. We use ant but using the XML merge ant task does not really suffice my requirements. I am thinking of using different modules and create a custom build framework similar to the one ATG (http://www.atg.com/) has made. If you are interested, I will keep you posted on how I end up leveraging your framework.

Phil said...

Hello aniket

1) as said in the README file:
"There are some .bat files for windows without cygwin, but they are less tested."

2) We only provide support for maven

3) You need to follow the steps in the setupEl4j document - we want to keep the installation process simple.

4) Good

Alternative build system: IMHO there are today enough build systems around - I typically recommend people to use one that exists (eventually I guess you will save money that way). I am saying that after have been involved in several larger own build system initiatives.